Who We Are
The Ozarks Gem & Mineral Society, Inc was founded in 1957 by a group of people interested in the hobby and study of rocks and minerals.
We are a member club of the Midwest Federation of Mineralogical & Geological Societies which, in turn, is a member of the American Federation of Mineralogical Societies.
The purpose of the Society is:
- To study and promote an interest in earth science, geology, paleontology, and mineralogy
- To study and promote lapidary and the jewelry-making art
- To conduct educational programs
- To support youth activities and encourage interest in earth science and related areas on behalf of Youth
Officer member positions consist of:
- Presides at all meetings of the Society and Board of Directors
- Appoints all committees as approved by the Board of Directors
- Ex-officio member of all committees
- Exercise general supervision over all affairs of the Society
- Coordinate work of the Officers and Committees
- Act as aide to the President
- Perform the duties of the President in case of absence or disability
- Perform other duties assigned by the President or Board of Directors
- Keep and maintain all records of membership, attenance, minutes of all membership and Director’s meetings
- Conduct correspondance required by President or Board of Directors
- Have custody of all funds of the Corporation
- Keep a full and accurate account of receipts and expenditures
- Make disbursements as authorized and approved by the Board of Directors
- Prepare a montly financial statement and whenever requested by Board of Directors
- Responsible for the maintenance of account books and records
- Show Chairman
- Produce an annual Gem and Mineral Show
- Appoint committees as needed to assist them
Board of Directors
- The Board of Directors shall consist of the Officers of the Corporation, the
immediate Past-President and two (2) elected Directors or one (1) Director
for each twenty (20) members with the elected Directors serving a one (1)
year term. The members of the Board of Directors shall serve until the
election and qualification of their successors.
- The Board of Directors shall meet monthly at a time designated by the
President prior to the regular monthly meeting of the general membership to
conduct the regular business of the Corporation. Any business other than
normal business which affect and changes in the Society or its normal
operation shall after consideration by the Board of Directors be brought
before the general membership for their vote. At the next meeting of the
general membership the President shall give a report of the business
conducted by the Board of Directors at their previous meeting.
- Special meetings of the Board of Directors may be called by the President of
any two members of the Board.
- The Board of Directors shall have the power of dismissal of a Member or
Officer when it has been demonstrated that such Member or Officer has shown
unethical or disloyal conduct with reference to the Corporation.
- Five (5) members of the Board of Directors shall constitute a Quorum.
Ozarks Gem & Mineral Society, Inc. does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious practice, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age (members under 16 must be sponsored by an adult member), national origin, ethnicity, disability, marital status, or military status and is interested in any of the following, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, the appointment to and termination from its Board of Directors, hiring and firing of contrators, selection of volunteers, selection of vendors, and providing of services.