Why Join? The Benefits of Membership
For the monthly presentation, most meetings include educational material. Past presentations have included:
- How to clean your minerals and rocks
- Toxicity of various specimens, and proper handling
- Insuring your collection of gemstones, minerals, and rocks
- What makes gems/minerals valuable?
We attempt to have several field trips throughout the year. OGMS members* usually meet at a
predetermined location, then convoy to the site. Past field trips have included:
- Crystal collecting (Arkansas)
- Mozarkite collecting (Lincoln, MO)
- Hunting for Kentucky agates (Irvine, KY)
- Prairie Agate collecting (NW Nebraska & South Dakota)
- Keokuk Geode collecting (Keokuk, IA)
*All attending must be OGMS members. Travel to & from, and lodging are the responsibility of the member
- We have a nice workshop with a variety of lapidary equipment. Several of our members are great at
giving hands-on tutorials.
- We hold other club-oriented classes as well.
The Annual Springfield Rock, Gem & Mineral Show
- OGMS members get into the show without having to pay the entrance fee.
- The opportunity to volunteer at the show. You get to work with impressive people and meet and help
our amazing vendors. Working at the Kids Corner is an extremely rewarding experience.
Fun Fun Fun!
- We usually have a potluck/finger food type of party about mid-year. This party is to have fun, visit old friends and get to know our newer members. We also take this time to fill the grab bags that we sell at the Fair and the Show.
- Holiday Party – In December, OGMS usually caters a lunch. After enjoying the meal and fellowship
with our members and their guests (guests can attend for a small fee), we enjoy a lively White
Elephant-style gift exchange.
Membership is open to anyone regardless of national origin, race, sex, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or age (members under 18 must be sponsored by an adult member), and is interested in any of the following:
- Earth Science
- Related Youth Activities
|Dues (Calendar Year)||Type|
Our memberships run from January until December.
New members who join after October 1st are considered members until the following December. For example, if a couple signs up for a membership on October 6, 2023, their membership will run until December 2024.
Apply for Membership
Click here for a printable PDF version of the application. Fill it out and mail it to the address at the bottom of the application. Be sure to include the applicable Membership Dues (checks payable to OGMS).
Or you can come and see us at any of our meetings or events and sign up in person!